Vet Talk with Dr Kyra

Festive Delights, Not So Festive For Our Pets!

As we excitedly prepare for the festive season, I feel it’s essential to mention a few festive delights that are not so delightful for our pets. Christmas is a time for giving, however it’s important not to overindulge when it comes to providing treats for our pets. Many human foods can cause serious illness to our four-legged friends. Avoid cooked bones, gravy and marinated meats. Food with onion and garlic should also be avoided. Christmas puddings are full of raisins – did you know that grapes and raisins are toxic to dogs?

I think most of us know that chocolate can be toxic to our pets so keep this out of reach. Macadamia nuts are also a popular Christmas delight to avoid – they have a well-documented toxicity in dogs. Even sugar-free lollies can be dangerous. They may contain Xylitol, also highly toxic to pets.

Many Christmas plants and flowers such as poinsettias, amaryllis, lilies, mistletoe and holly can be poisonous if consumed by your pet.

Cats love Christmas trees, and tinsel can seem like a very attractive toy. Unfortunately, consuming tinsel or other decorations can make your pet very ill.

As we bring in the New Year, fireworks will light up the sky. For those owners with noise phobic dogs, please seek veterinary advice in advance so that you and your dog are prepared and you can enjoy the festivities without too much anxiety.

Furry Season’s Greetings from our family to yours!

Dr Kyra Craft BVSc (Hons) – Head Veterinarian – Wet Noses Mobile Vet

 Prior Editions

CLICK on the titles below to download prior editions of Vet Talk with Dr Kyra.